Friday, April 8, 2011

Awwwww

Patricia Mears with Carol Lim & Humberto Leon

Ok, it's been a while...and now I'm back.

Recently I have had the opportunity to attend some talks at FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) where I now take some classes. First, I saw Garance Doré, world famous blogger (with 80 something thousand unique hits per day) talk about how she got started- and she was just SO nice. Then, I saw Humberto Leon and Carol Lim from Opening Ceremony talk about how they got started (interviewed expertly by the eternally elegant Patricia Mears from the Museum of FIT- one of my favourite NY secrets). They filled the house and everyone eagerly awaited their answers in the Q & A session- I mean, they founded the hottest store in New York then branched out, trailing coolness in their wake. Well, they just came across SO nice too.

I was confused- where was all the pomp and circumstance demanded by these fashion folk? What did they mean- reach out to us, we love to hear from you? We helped other stores, we share resources sometimes, we all help each other. What was this crazy talk?

WHEN DID FASHION GET SO SOFT? Hey, I'm not complaining. I've been working in fashion since high school and I've worked for and seen some of the biggest divas in action- I mean, we secretly called my first boss Evil-lyn instead of her given name, Evelyn, she was such a nightmare to all in her employ. I learned a lot from them (especially in the what not to do department) and lived to move onto bigger and better things, but isn't fashion about stabbings in the backs and bitchiness? No one helping each other so there can only be one queen bee? Apparently not, according to these guys.

While that might not be completely true for all, I have to say it was really refreshing to see some humanity and hearing that people were helping each other. We know this happens but usually only so someone looks good and gets a PR opp (or lots of dosh) out of it.

And then last night I saw Grace Killelea speak. She's not in fashion- she was speaking as a guest of the Advertising & Marketing dept (of which I'm now part of) and she told her story. It was one of fighting her way to the top, helping others and having them help her back. Of working with grace and dignity and refusing to settle when she thought she deserved more. She stressed working hard and KINDNESS- to ourselves and to each other.

OMG, that's it! In these times where everyone is expected to do more for, and with less, a little kindness goes a long way. Isn't there enough for everyone? How much of the pie does one person really need anyway?

These people, who started with a few ideas and a lot of determination have made themselves into something pretty big and are now sharing their stories and telling us that they're just like us- now that's great PR.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they've been listening to their grandmothers. Like ours always said, "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".

D

Emma Schonenberg said...

Aha! We've spoken about this before :) and the last couple of weeks I've found myself thinking about this!!! Never forget whose helped you out (toi, mon amie!) - work hard and be good to others right! Give back too! YES! Even if sometimes one seems to feel like the hard honest work is paying off... suddenly things turn around! What goes around, comes around - the "good" always comes back in a huge beautiful package!!!
For you, always, merci ma Petite!!!!!!!!

Emma Sch. said...

-typo- when onenseems to feel the hard honest work isn't paying off.....
It always does eventually-just need to be patient :) persevere... and listen to the valuable input given by people that cross your way!